Vitamins and Minerals of Mustard seeds
Mustard seeds are indeed very rich in phyto-nutrients, minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants and dietary fiber.
Mustard seeds are an excellent source of essential B-complex vitamins such as folates, niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, pyridoxine (vitaminB-6), pantothenic acid.
Mustard seeds contain flavonoid and carotenoid antioxidants such as carotenes, zea-xanthin, and lutein.
The seeds are an excellent source of vitamin E, gamma tocopherol.
Mustards are rich source of health benefiting minerals. Calcium, manganese, copper, iron, selenium and zinc are some of the minerals especially concentrated in these seeds.
The seeds are high in essential oils as well as plant sterols. Some of important sterols include such as brassicasterol, campesterol, sitosterol, avenasterol and stigmasterol. Some of glucosinolate and fatty acids in the seeds include sinigrin, myrosin, erucic, eicosenoic, oleic, and palmitic acids.
Health Benefits of Mustard seeds
Packed with phytonutrients, mustard seeds are a great way to prevent and slow the progress of cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. The presence of compounds like glucosinolates and mirosinase in mustard seeds are known to use phytochemicals to inhibit the growth of cancer cells. This is definitely a major mustard seeds health benefit.
When applied to the body, the paste heats up the area and helps loosen muscles, leading to relief from muscle pain.
These seeds contain a good amount of Sulphur gives the seed anti fungal and anti bacterial properties that help fight common skin ailments. mustard seeds are a great way to curb skin infections.
Because mustard has a large number of elemental minerals like iron, manganese, copper etc., it helps improve the body’s ability to fight disease.
Helps reduce constipation
Mustard seeds are known to increase the production of saliva, leading to better digestion. Mustard seeds are a good source of dietary fibres that improve digestion in the body. They make the bowel movements better, thus improving the overall metabolism of the body.
Control symptoms of asthma
The presence of minerals like copper, magnesium, iron and selenium in it are responsible for the prevention of Asthma Attacks. Mustard seeds are high in selenium and magnesium. Both the components give it a unique anti inflammatory property. It is known to control and keep the symptoms of asthma, cold and chest congestion at bay.
Uses of Mustard seeds
- Mustard seeds are very rich in calcium, manganese, omega 3 fatty acids, iron, zinc, protein and dietary fiber include them in your diet.
- Mustard seeds and its oil has traditionally been used to relieve muscle pain, rheumatism and arthritic pain.
- Mustard oil is known to be great for the skin because it generates warmth.
- Mustard oil is applied over scalp and is believed to stimulate hair growth.
- Mustard seeds are known to give relief from the number of migraine attacks you get.
- Mustard seeds are excellent for digestion because they increase the metabolism rate of your body.
- Who suffer from a bad appetite, here’s something that will be really helpful. Mix a few black mustard seeds with milk and have it 15 to 20 minutes before your meal.
- They’re also beneficial for menopausal women who have trouble sleeping.