Vitamins and minerals of Poppy seeds
• Poppy seeds outer coat is a good source of dietary fiber. The seeds are especially rich in oleic and linoleic acids.
• The seeds are excellent source B-complex vitamins such as thiamin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, riboflavin, niacin, and folic acid.
• Poppy seeds contain good levels of minerals like iron, copper, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc and magnesium.
• Dried poppy seeds contain very small levels of opium alkaloids such as morphine, thebaine, codiene, papaverine etc.
Health benefits for Poppy seeds
• Reducing cholesterol level Poppy seeds are especially rich in oleic and linoleic acids. Oleic acid present in poppy seeds is considered useful in reducing blood cholesterol levels and lowering blood pressure.Poppy seeds rich in monounsaturated fatty acids helps to prevent coronary artery disease and strokes by favoring healthy blood lipid profile.
• Digestive system Poppy seeds outer coat is a good source of dietary fiber. fiber is metabolically inert content which helps increase bulk of the food by absorbing water down the digestive tract and thereby easing constipation problem. Aids in digestion and used in curing ailments like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, indigestion.
• Insomnia Poppy seeds useful for treating in insomnia, Using 30 gms of milk extracted from the poppy seeds mixed with sugar can be used for treating insomnia. A teaspoon poppy seed oil taken every night is also very effective for insomnia.
• Nervous system Dried poppy seeds contain very small levels of opium alkaloids such as morphine, thebaine, codiene, papaverine, these compounds produce a minimal effect when consumed on the human nervous system.Opium is beneficial as a liniment for soothing both muscular and neuralgic pains.
• For skin Apply a mix of poppy seed paste under the eyes to reduce dark circles and swollen eyelids. Using a mixture of powdered poppy seeds and milk clears blemishes.
Uses of Poppy seeds
• Poppy seeds to your daily diet can cure respiratory problems such as chronic cough and asthma.
• Poppy seed paste can stop diarrhea and help To treat vomiting and nausea.
• Poppy seed paste when applied to swollen joints can provide pain relief.
• A paste of the root rubbed on the skin can remove burning sensation of the body.
• Zinc is a co-factor in many enzymes that regulate growth and development, sperm generation, digestion and nucleic acid synthesis.
• Poppy seeds can be used to heal swollen and painful joints.