• Turnips are very low calorie root vegetables, they are very good source of anti-oxidants, minerals, vitamins and dietary fiber.
• Fresh roots are rich in vitamin C, and turnips green leaves are an excellent source of vitamin K.
• The greens are very rich in antioxidants like vitamin A, vitamin C, carotenoid, xanthin, and lutein.
• Turnips greens are also a very good source of B-complex group of vitamins such as folates, riboflavin, pyridoxine, pantothenic acid and thiamin.
• Turnips greens are excellent sources of important minerals like calcium, copper, iron and manganese.
Health Benefits of Turnips
• Cancer Prevention Vitamin-C is a powerful water-soluble anti-oxidant required by the body for synthesis of collagen.Turnip contains certain phytonutrients and sulphurous compounds that have anti-cancer properties and reduces the risk of various cancers, like lung cancer, stomach and colon cancers.
• Helps Immune System Vitamin-C is a powerful water-soluble anti-oxidant required by the body for synthesis of collagen. The beta-carotene content in turnips helps the body in producing healthy membranes. Turnip root plays an important role in the proper functioning of the body’s immune system.
• Digestive Health It is a good source of fiber that includes soluble dietary fibers to prevent constipation and to control blood cholesterol levels. Turnip greens are high in fiber which helps support the body’s digestive system.
• Weight Loss Turnips are very low calorie root vegetables and dietary fiber. The high fiber content of turnips should promote an active, healthy metabolism, controls body weight and supports a healthy and active colon.
• Eye Health The greens are very rich in antioxidants like vitamin A, carotenoid, and lutein. Carotenoid that promotes eye health and prevents ocular diseases such as macular degeneration and cataracts.
Uses of Turnips
• Help prevent cataracts and cardiovascular disease due to large amount of lutein.
• Turnips are good source of Vitamins-A help to good and healthy vision.
• Turnips contains folate, help to preventing birth defects during pregnancy.
• Turnips contains calcium and potassium, healthy bone growth and helping to prevent bone diseases such as osteoporosis.
• High content of vitamins A and C helps in maintaining healthy and radiant skin.